Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Warm Butternut and Chickpea Salad with Tahini

This is a fantastic recipe for Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad. Leah found it on Molly Wizenberg's blog, Orangette, and made it for our first potluck about a month ago. Wizenberg's description of it is more loving than I can ever manage to be about food, so you should definitely check that out, but since I love food as much as anything else, I thought I'd try my hand at reviewing the recipe.

It doesn't sound good, and, truth be told, it looks gross. This is a front, to keep the less brave and the less smart away, in the same way that some plants look poisonous but really taste delicious (I don't know if that's actually a reality, but in my head it is). You should try this recipe immediately. It was, I think, pretty easy to make (I didn't have a whole lot to do with it, because if I had, I would have skipped half the ingredients and undercooked everything and it wouldn't have come out right), and it tasted unbelievable.

There are a lot of contradictions in this meal, and that makes it wonderful. Warm salad? Squash and tahini? These things don't seem to go well together, but they make a perfect combination and the tastes flutter along your tongue like happy dream butterflies. It's smooth and grainy, a salad and a meal, exotic and comforting, and overall just plain good. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment