Sunday, August 30, 2009

Julie & Julia & Me


Classes started last week and already I feel like it is Semester: Impossible. I have three math classes. That’s right, three. Well, three classes where I have to use math. Which to a math-phobic person like myself, is pretty much a nightmare. Also, I am not allowed to use a calculator for algebra.


On Saturday, I was trying to do metric conversions for my biology lab when I had a slight meltdown. How am I going to do all of this? I wondered. I was stuck in a downward spiral of negative thinking.


So, I decided to take my mind off of things, and I went to see Julie & Julia. I love food, and I love watching shows about food, so I figured it would be a win. Which in my opinion, it was. I really liked Meryl Streep as Julia Child and Amy Adams as Julie Powell, a woman who decides to write a blog about cooking her way through Julia Child’s cookbook. Both Julie and Julia were very likable characters. Overall, it was a cute movie. It probably won’t win any awards, but it’s something fun to go see on a Saturday afternoon. I left the theater feeling uplifted, because, as Julie’s husband reassures her: “Julia Child wasn’t always Julia Child”. Meaning, we all have to start somewhere. It turns out that Julia Child could not even chop an onion when she first entered culinary school, but that didn’t stop her from becoming one of the most influential chefs of our time. If Julia Child went from not being able to chop an onion, to “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”, then I can certainly learn to do math without a calculator.

No comments:

Post a Comment