Thursday, April 16, 2009

Madiba Restaurant


Just got back from a fantastic dinner with my father at Madiba Restaurant (195 Dekalb Avenue). Madiba is a South African restaurant with an adorable style (think coca-cola bottle chandeliers) and very good food. They get a lot of their produce from the Fort Greene Farmer's Market (one of my favorite parts of my neighborhood) and donate some of their profits to a few South African Charities. Overall, just the eclectic yuppie type place I love.

My father ordered a Yebo Burger with slapchips, and the meat was ground different than normal hamburger meat, creating a denser burger, with wonderful seasoning and my favorite toppings, mushrooms and carmelized onions. I ordered the Durban Bunny Chow with vegetables. The curry was pretty average, but the serving style was great (it came in a really good bread bowl that was shaped like store-bought bread is shaped), and the sambals that it came with were fantastic, particularly the sweet ones.

It was a little pricey, but not astronomical (dinner with two cokes and tip came to $44), and the front seemed like a nice place to hang out for a bit with a drink. I would definitely recommend trying it if you're in the mood for something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment