Monday, May 4, 2009

David Adjaye's Design for the NMAHC

I'm not really a design nut, but I do really enjoy museums, and this article on the National Museum of African American History and Culture made me really thrilled to see the building itself when its completed. Maybe it's the use of the words "shimmering" or "zigzagging" or "intricate cultural narrative," but I am absolutely dying to see this happen, both for the museum collections and the physical structure. It looks like the building is going to be a gorgeous addition to the Mall.

As I said, I'm not so big on design, but David Adjaye seems like an interesting choice, especially considering that he's not African American, but actually British. I like his thought process behind the building, taking cues from a variety of different art forms, including both African and American, as well as making it usable as the both public and private space that a museum needs to be.

I guess lately I'm getting into DC (I literally cannot stop thinking about Tabard Inn, a little hotel where we had the world's greatest doughnuts two months ago, and where we might stay on our next visit). I'm very excited for at least one quick weekend trip down there this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment