Monday, May 18, 2009

Fifth Avenue Street Fair

After much deliberation (I hurt my knee, I worried about rain, I like to make excuses), I decided to go ahead with my original plan and check out the Fifth Avenue Street Fair in Park Slope yesterday. This was my second time in the neighborhood this weekend. Though I sometimes jokingly think of Park Slope as the city equivalent of Bronxville, I don't really mind it nearly so much as much as I pretend to, particularly because I have several wonderful friends who live there, and I really enjoy the iced maple lattes at Gorilla Coffee.

So, I walked down to the fair and met Leah at around 1pm yesterday, and we proceeded to get some coffee before walking the span between Sterling and 12th streets. The fair was nice, although it tended to be filled with the same sorts of stands that are at the Brooklyn Flea every week and every other festival I've been to in New York. (I love Karen's Monsters, but I do get tired of Elma Blint all the time.) We had some empanadas from the V Spot, which are some of my favorite empanadas, and enjoyed a live presentation of the Sham Wow, as well as a Beatles cover band in front of ChipShop.

One thing that might have improved it (and which certainly improved TulipFest a week earlier), would be to have some more open spaces like Byrne Park, where we could have sat and relaxed and chatted. I suppose this is a structural problem with New York, though, and not with the festival itself. Overall, it was a nice little afternoon, and I thoroughly enjoyed the nice five and a half mile walk that came included.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for not mentioning my fall or robbery. those things are not representative of the day.

    ReplyDelete